We are interested in projects that are focused on:
- Identification and assessment of valuable bioresources (deciduous species and coniferous tree, annual plants, wastes and by-products, energy crops) for bioenergy and biobased products,
- Sustainable transformation/separation of primary and secondary components from biomass into their building blocks with the concomitant production of biofuels, energy, chemicals and materials applying conventional and non-conventional extraction/separation methods;
- Conversion of raw materials (or their constituents) into bio-materials, bio-fuels, bioenergy and bio-chemicals;
- Processing of valuable bio-resources by various biological, thermochemical, and/or physical methods designed to synthesize or bio-convert new materials, followed by extraction, recovery, purification of the products.
- Transformation and production of bio-based products adapted to the requirements of end-users.
Our mission is to contribute to the scientific and technological development in the area of biorefining and complex processing of biomass resources with focus on:
(1) Green chemical and biochemical processes and basic operations
Chemical characterization of various resources: deciduous species and coniferous tree, annual plants, wastes and by-products, energy crops;
Structural, anatomical and morphological characterization of different sources of biomass;
Establishment of procedures for primary and secondary chemical components separation;
Studies on the reactivity of chemical components;
Possibilities for extraction, separation, concentration and fermentation processes.
(2) Tests using biochemical methods
Evaluation of the chemical and energetic potential of principal and secondary components;
Chemical and biochemical applications of components in the biorefinery concept;
Evaluation of the toxicity of chemicals;
Cultures of microorganisms, plant cells and tissues;
(3) Physical and chemical characterization
Chemical composition (cellulose, lignin, hemicelluloses, extractives and inorganic content);
Chemical characteristics (carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, and other elements content);
Physical parameters (density, moisture);
Proximate analysis data (fixed carbon, volatile compounds and ash content);
Energetic parameters (higher heat value - HHV, lower heat value - LHV);
Complex HPLC analysis coupled with MS spectrometer;
AAS spectrometry for heavy metals determination;
UV-VIS spectrophotometer analysis for liquid samples.
(4) Consulting and training in biorefinery and bioeconomy.
(5) Documentation and research strategy.
(6) Master in science, PhD program and Post Doc stages.